Kale and Delicata Squash Salad
Miso Glazed Chicken
TAHINI: Toasted sesame seeds that are ground into a seed butter, common in Greek and middle eastern dishes like hummus. Good source of healthy fats that benefit heart health.
MISO: Fermented soy bean paste, stable in Asian diets, miso has gained more recent popularity as people become more educated on the benefits of fermented foods. Like products such as sauerkraut and kombucha, fermented foods have beneficial digestive enzymes that keep your gut regular and healthy.
DELICATA SQUASH: Excellent source of antioxidants like carotenoids that help to fight cancer. Although high in carbohydrates, the carbs in winter squash have antioxidant anti-inflammatory and anti-diabetic properties.
1/3 cup tahini
1/3 cup mild white miso
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tablespoons minced shallot (about one small shallot)
one large, juicy lemon
1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 medium delicata squash (substitute butternut or other favorite winter squash)
2 large bunches lacinato kale
1/3 cup hazelnuts
1/3 cup dried cranberries
fresh cracked pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare marinade/dressing by combining in a blender tahini, miso, garlic, shallot, and juice from one lemon. Add additional water until dressing reaches a consistency you're pleased with (should be creamy but still easy to pour.)
3. Separate 1/2 cup of marinade for the chicken into a bowl. Combine chicken and marinade until all pieces are throughly coated. Marinated for at least 30 minutes, up to 2 hours.
4. Place chicken breasts on a lined baking sheet, and roast in oven for 20-30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
5. Carefully cut delicata squash in half, remove all seeds and strings.
6. Cut squash into half moons, toss lightly in coconut oil, sprinkle with sea salt and roast for 25-30 minutes, or until soft.
7. While chicken and squash is roasting prepare kale by washing and removing stems. Cut into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
8. Rough chop hazelnuts and place in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook until nuts are lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from heat and pan. Set aside.
9. In a large salad bowl pile kale, roasted squash, cranberries, and hazelnuts. Dress to your preference and toss until well combined. Top with fresh cracked pepper and finishing salt.
10. Serve chicken breasts on a bed of the kale salad. Sprinkle with hazelnuts for garnish.